Hoping to Visit Your School Soon
The 2014-2015 school year is under way. I look forward to seeing many of you this year as I visit schools, teacher conferences, libraries and community events. I will be offering workshops, assemblies and artist-in-residency programs on a variety of topics including;
- Songs and Stories Around the World
- Building Bridges of Peace and Hope Through Songs and Storytelling
- All Around Us: Exploring Nature Through Songs and Songwriting
- Help Stop Bullying by Teaching Empathy and Tolerance
- Integrating Music into the Common Core Standards
- Making Connections: Global Awareness and Partnerships
I will also be sharing stories, songs, photos and video from my recent trip to Africa at the end of the 2013-14 school year. The trip included climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro with our daughter Maggie, doing school programs at the International School of Moshi in Tanzania, and spending five days with teachers and students at the Mukwashi Trust School in Zambia. The climb of Kilimanjaro was part of the "High Hopes and Common Threads" Project that included writing and photos from over 1700 children from more than 50 countries around the globe. I'm very excited about sharing these "good news" stories with children and teachers.
My sincere thanks and admiration to all you teachers who continue to give so much of yourselves while being asked to adapt constantly and juggle more and new responsiblities. Our children are very fortunate that teachers are such a dedicated and professional group.